What is the International GCSE exam?
- Edexcel International General Certificates of Secondary Education (International GCSEs)
- are level 1 and level 2 international qualifications.
- are recognised around the world by employers and educators
- are relevant and academically rigorous
- are recognised as equivalent, grade for grade, to a UK GCSE, and have the same status in terms of university entry requirements
- The IGCSE is predominantly exam-based HOWEVER in our school we have made sure that the IGCSE course is carried out to allow deeper knowledge, exchange between IGCSE subjects and their Italian equivalents and prepare students adequately.
- The subjects currently implemented are History & Geography in the Classical and Linguistic Courses and Biology, Chemistry & Physics in the Scientific Course.
Why does Liceo M. Gioia implement it?
- Content and language integrated learning (CLIL)is an approach for learning content through an additional language (foreign or second), thus teaching both the subject and the language. It has been strongly supported by the European Commission and has by law become part of the Italian high school curriculum.
- Lessons were initially conducted by a native English speaking teacher and an Italian one. From 2010 CLIL mother tongue English teachers have conducted these lessons alone.
- Requests by students’ families and the will of Liceo Gioia to introduce an official recognition to this course brought to the Edexcel IGCSE being chosen as the best possible certification in this direction.
What can I do with a IGCSE certificate?
Being an internationally recognised academic certification you may:
- Provide a solid foundation to further English language certifications
- Reach a B2 level at least (unofficially – but necessary in order to pass the examination with a good grade)
- Enrich your CV with a rigorous qualification which is particularly rare in Italy
What must I study?
- All content is in the Pearson International GCSE books
- The complete specification is provided after having entered for the examination
- After entering for the exams lessons are organised specifically to address the specification requirements and analyse the structure under which the examination is laid out.
When and where do examinations take place?
- Examinations take place in designated classrooms in Liceo Gioia under the supervision of an Internal Examination Officer and other vigilantes. An external examiner from GB may be present.
How much does it cost (also as compared to other international certificates)?
- The fee for a single examination depends on the number of students taking the exam but generally ranges between 80-90 Euro.